So I basically started this page without explaining who the HELL I am. I just want to take the time to thank everyone who has followed this blog without knowing about the girl behind it, and to those who are interested.. here goes.
- My name is Louisa. Nicknames include: Lou, LouBear(boyfriend/best friend), Bub(parents) and, of course, Loutopia(Social media name). I came up with the name Loutopia about a year ago and it just stuck, I wish I had some smart meaning behind it, but I just liked how it sounded. Call me what you want, as long as it’s not mean.
- I live with my family and angry cat Fudge- my family are my best friends, as tacky as that sounds, and I never tire of them. I am London born and bred, but my heritage stems back to the West Indies and South India. I used to hate being mixed race when I was younger, but am now accepting that different can be good.
- My love of gaming is actually thanks to my mum. She is the biggest PC gaming fan I know and has been playing games since way before I was born. Having a brother and god brother who I spent loads of time with cemented my love of consoles. My boyfriend is now my main gaming buddy and player 2: we are forever learning and broadening our passion and hope to start a YouTube channel in 2016. My favourite games include : Monkey Island series(in fact, anything Lucasarts), Earthbound and The Legend of Zelda(especially A Link to the Past).
- I started cosplaying in 2014, and absolutely love it. I try not to get intimidated by the amount of talent out there, and just focus on my own development and progress. I set myself small goals to fulfil, so I can build up to making entire costumes on my own. I have a cosplay Instagram now – @afrocosplay if you want to see how I’m getting on!
- I actually don’t like the terms ‘geek’ and ‘gamer girl’. I think they’re overused, but there aren’t many other ways to describe my interests. Let’s start a new word? #ladieswhogame?
- My other passion is reading. My Mum proudly tells of me being the only child at nursery who could read a book cover to cover(shut up Mum). I am studying for a BA in English Literature right now, and believe everyone should make time for their brain and read. Favourite books include : A Clockwork Orange, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Requiem for a Dream- all cheery material. I also enjoy reading comics, manga and graphic novels, there will be a full section about this on the blog soon! Favourite comics/graphic novels/manga include: Maus, Rat Queens, Ms. Marvel(Kamala Khan) and Kimi Ni Todoke.
- I am a Peanuts and Charlie Brown fangirl. It is my favourite franchise of all time and I will never every tire of it. My favourite character is Lucy, because she is grumpy like me. 🙂
- I quote from ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Family Guy’ daily. Me and my boyfriend have full conversations this way.
- I am a vegan and animal rights activist. I am a fairly new vegan, only going full whack this year, but I am accepting the transition fairly well. It was pretty hard considering I was a hardened junk food and Big Mac enthusiast before! I don’t like to think about the amount of suffering that goes on, but it happens regardless of if we try and kid ourselves or not. I just want to help any way that I can.
- I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression earlier this year, and am not ashamed to talk it about it now. There isn’t enough education on mental health, and it is such an issue these days. I intend on writing a section about this, and my tried and tested ways of recovery. I don’t believe I can ever ‘fully’ recover, but have made some changes with the help of my wonderful support network and am positive about the future.
- (MUSH ALERT)My boyfriend Kane is my everything. Best pal, boyfriend, pet(LOL). He is one of the only people in my life who has my best interests at heart always, and he has changed me for the better.
- My dream job would be to write for a gaming site and my end goal is to produce my own adventure game alongside my talented animator boyfriend Broken Tuna. I also want to write a serialised novel for young adults. And be Queen. OK, not that last one.
- My friends compare me to Bart Simpson, Ducklett(Pokemon) and Buttercup(PowerPuff Girls). I would have preferred Beyonce but whatevs.
- Loutopia is mostly a place for nerd culture, but I try to make it more than that if I can by adding my own personal touch. If you have any ideas for what you would like to see me write, or just want to say hey, send me an e-mail at email@example.com.
Thank you for reading, I hope this has taken some of the mystery out and you are now convinced that I’m not a fire breathing lizard or something. Although, that would be the best ever. A fire breathing lizard with access to a computer. OK, that reminds me of my last point – I often chat rubbish when my brain goes off on a tangent.